This dessert was intended to be a 21-Day Sugar Detox treat (which it is) but it is also just an amazing dessert! I think I've stumbled on a delightful treat with no sugar necessary - or maybe that's just my detoxed taste buds talking.
I was inspired by Paleo By Diana's Balanced Apple Pecan Bites and Elana's Pantry's Paleo Coconut Macaroons. I wanted to create a nut-free treat as I limit my nut consumption (more on that later), so macaroons came to mind and green apples seemed like the perfect solution to sweeten them up. I cannot recommend these enough - they are AWESOME.
Paleo Macaroon Bites
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients (18 bites)
2 large organic egg whites
1 organic green apple
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- Peel and shred apple into a small bowl
- Add egg whites to a medium size bowl
- Stir in salt
- Add both types of coconut and apple to medium size bowl and stir well
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes (softens coconut and helps it to hold together)
- Using a small scoop (i.e. melon baller, cookie dough scoop, or small ice cream scoop), fill with batter, pack very firmly and release bites onto parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then broil for 2 minutes if you want them more golden
- Remove from baking sheet and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature
- *Note: you could also make this with only flakes or only shreds, but I believe the combination of the two creates the best consistency. Also note if they don't hold together well, add 1 more egg white to the batter.
Powered by Recipage